Friday, January 21, 2022

Just a Shower

 



A poem inspired by a reading of the novel The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne






 

The door slams shut, and I can feel the fear, consuming the room

I try to focus my eyes on something, but my brain could not escape the painful thought that is the death of us all

My heart begins to race, as I finally allow myself to acknowledge that I am going to die.

 

The lights dim, and I try to close my eyes

But I cannot ignore the sense of death, impending upon us.

That’s when I hear them

Two young boys, whispering to each other

 

There’s terror in their voices

And I wish I could help them

But I can’t

Nobody can

 

I couldn’t make out the words of which they were whispering

But I had hoped that they were both oblivious

And that they would pass with pure souls.

 

I admired their innocence, and it made me forget about the situation for a brief second.

But that’s when the room start to fill up

Fill up with gas

 

Hot, so hot it could burn through your skin

I tried to gasp for air, 

I tried to take my last breath

But I had realised that it was too late

 

I couldn’t think straight- and I questioned everything in these last few moments.

 

That’s when I glance down at them, 

Clutching each other’s hand tightly in their own

“I’m scared, Shmuel,” one of them says

 

My heart breaks for them

“Don’t worry,” I whisper, managing to find a little wind left in me, which slightly startled them with my remark:

“It’s just a shower”

 

After all, that’s all it is… isn’t it?

It’s just a shower.

Just a shower,

just a shower...


By Madison H - Year 9

 

No comments:

Post a Comment